10 Best Commercial Vacuums in 2023 – Reviews & Top Picks
A commercial vacuum has to be able to perform the same jobs and tasks as a standard household vacuum, but it needs to be able to do it for longer and make the job easier. It should be more durable than a standard vacuum and will usually be able to hold more dust and debris before it needs emptying or the bag needs changing. Options include upright or canister, lightweight models, and a selection of bagless or bagged vacuums. You can even buy wet/dry cleaners and backpack models, according to your cleaning and convenience requirements.
Below are reviews of 10 of the best commercial vacuums this year, including a good variety of each cleaner type, enabling you to find the best vacuum for your business.
A Quick Look at Our Favorites of 2023
|Best Overall||Oreck Commercial Bagged Vacuum||
|Best Value||Eureka NEU182A PowerSpeed Bagless Vacuum||
|Premium Choice||ProTeam Super QuarterVac Backpack Vacuum||
|Vacmaster Beast Professional Series||
|Perfect Products C105 Portable Vacuum||
The 10 Best Commercial Vacuums
1. Oreck Commercial Upright Bagged Vacuum Cleaner – Best Overall
|Vacuum weight:||8 pounds|
The Oreck Commercial Upright Bagged Vacuum Cleaner is an upright, bagged cleaner that has a capacity of 4 quarts and has a wide 12-inch cleaning head. The wide head means that you can cover a large area in a short space of time, and the 4-quart capacity enables you to clean for longer without having to keep stopping to empty the dust. There is also a 40-foot power cord, so you don’t have to keep stopping to change outlets. The microsweep feature means that you don’t have to manually change settings when changing floor types, and saniseal technology prevents the puff of dust that is common when emptying other cleaners.
At 8 pounds, it is a reasonable weight, and the cleaner is very reasonably priced for a vacuum that makes cleaning easier. To achieve the relatively light weight of this model, it has been constructed from aluminum, which isn’t as hardy and durable as stainless steel. The reasonable price and the fact that the Oreck enables you to keep cleaning for longer without having to constantly break off makes this our best overall commercial cleaner because it allows you to get the job done.
- Wide 12-inch cleaning head
- Generous 4-quart dust capacity
- 40-foot power cord
- Aluminum construction not as durable as stainless steel
2. Eureka NEU182A PowerSpeed Bagless Vacuum – Best Value
|Vacuum weight:||10 pounds|
The Eureka NEU182A PowerSpeed Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner provides that you don’t have to spend a fortune to get a decent quality commercial vacuum and is our choice as the best commercial vacuum for the money. But you do have to make some sacrifices when buying on such a restricted budget.
The vacuum weighs around 10 pounds, which isn’t lightweight and may prove too heavy when used all day. It holds 2.6 liters of dust, which is about average for this type of vacuum. It does have a 12.6-inch cleaning head, though, which is generous without being overly cumbersome. And, while it does require manual adjustments according to the floor type you’re cleaning, there are five settings so that you can match the cleaning level to virtually any floor type. The multi-clean attachment is handy for cleaning curtains and other textiles and surfaces, but it is quite a heavy machine.
- Very cheap
- 12.6-inch-wide cleaning head
- Convenient 7-inch cleaning attachment
- Quite loud compared to others
3. ProTeam Super QuarterVac Backpack Vacuum – Premium Choice
|Vacuum weight:||11 pounds|
|Capacity:||6 quarts2.6 liters|
Backpack vacuums are worn over the back and feature shoulder straps and typically a belly strap. They enable you to spread the weight of the vacuum canister across your upper body and negate the need to have to pull or carry the vacuum from one cleaning area to the next. They do take some getting used to, but they can help speed up the cleaning process.
Everything about the ProTeam Super QuarterVac Commercial Backpack Vacuum Cleaner is designed to prolong your cleaning shift without you having to break away from vacuuming. It is a backpack, it has a 6-quart dust capacity, and the 50-foot power cord means that it will cover most areas without having to unplug.
The 4-stage HEPA filtration means it catches the vast majority of allergens, and it has a tool belt to hold the variety of accessories that are specifically designed to clean areas like furniture and curtains. It is a powerful yet surprisingly silent vacuum, but it is expensive, and backpack cleaners aren’t to everyone’s liking.
- 6-quart dust capacity
- 50-foot power cord
- Backpack design means fewer stops and less pulling
- Backpack design doesn’t suit everybody
4. Vacmaster Beast Professional Series
|Vacuum weight:||28 pounds|
Canister vacuums can hold a substantial amount of dust and dirt before they need to be emptied, and while they tend to be heavier than their upright counterparts, they are wheeled and should be easy to pull around. They are designed for heavy-duty cleaning, and the Vacmaster Beast Professional Series really is a beast. It has a massive 14-gallon capacity in the stainless-steel canister, so it doesn’t need frequent emptying. It also includes tools like the utility nozzle, extension wand, and floor brush, all of which are stored on the canister itself.
If dust capacity is the most important factor to your cleaning work, the Beast is a very good choice. But it does weigh 28 pounds, which means it can take some work to pull it around for extended periods, and you will need to take occasional work breaks to unplug and find another outlet because the power cord is fairly restricted at 20 feet long.
- Massive 14-gallon capacity
- Includes a range of accessories and tools
- Stainless steel canister is durable
- 20-foot power cord is short
- Weighs 28 pounds
5. Perfect Products C105 Lightweight Portable Canister Vacuum
|Vacuum weight:||10 pounds|
If you prefer a lightweight canister cleaner, the Perfect Products C105 Lightweight Portable Commercial Canister Vacuum weighs just 10 pounds, has a carry strap to make lifting and moving it easier, and it has a 30-foot power cord, which means fewer trips to the plug socket than similarly priced Vacmaster above.
However, to reduce the weight of the vacuum, it is made from plastic rather than metal, and while its 6-quart capacity is reasonably generous, it doesn’t come close to that of the metal canister. The cleaner does have a HEPA filter and includes a crevice tool so that you can clean confined and tight spaces. You also have a choice of reusable or disposable dust bags to accompany the vacuum.
- Weighs 10 pounds
- 30-foot power cord
- Strap makes it easier to carry
- Plastic construction not as durable as metal
6. Sanitaire Tradition Upright Bagged Commercial Vacuum
|Vacuum weight:||15.8 pounds|
The Sanitaire Tradition Upright Bagged Commercial Vacuum is an upright vacuum that has a very generous 18-quart dirt capacity, a long 50-foot power cord that is detachable, and the manufacturer claims that the motor will last for 20,000 hours of use, which means that even with heavy daily use, it should last several years without having to be replaced. Maintenance of the vacuum is also easy, boasting tool-free cleaning. It also has a chrome hood and metal upright pole, which means that it is built to last as long as the motor.
The Sanitaire is heavy for an upright vacuum, weighing just under 16 pounds, and it doesn’t have attachments to help conquer stairs or other areas, so it is best suited to large, open plan spaces. However, if you want a durable, long-lasting commercial vacuum that will tackle a lot of dirt before it needs emptying or unplugging, it is a good option.
- Will last up to 20,000 hours
- 18-quart capacity is good for an upright
- 50-foot power cord
- No attachments or tools
7. Hoover Commercial Lightweight Backpack Bagged Vacuum
|Vacuum weight:||9.2 pounds|
The Hoover Commercial Lightweight Backpack Bagged Vacuum Cleaner is a backpack cleaner. Hoover claims that the straps have been designed in conjunction with a chiropractor to ensure that the weight is distributed properly across the body, and the cleaner only weighs 9.2 pounds, which means that it is lighter than a lot of other similar designs. Despite this, it has a reasonable 6.4-quart dust capacity, while the 48-foot power cord means that you can clean more space without having to stop for plug breaks.
You also receive a crevice tool, turbo floor tool, dusting brush, and upholstery tool, so it is suitable for all types of office and commercial buildings, as well as homes. At 66 decibels, it is also a quiet cleaner, and it has a HEPA filter that helps eradicate allergens from the environment. However, this quiet operation means that the suction power isn’t as good as other commercial cleaners.
- Lightweight (10 pound) backpack cleaner
- 48-foot power cord
- Quieter than most
- Not as powerful as other commercial vacuums
8. Bissell Multiclean Wet/Dry Garage and Auto Vacuum Cleaner
|Vacuum weight:||16.1 pounds|
The Bissell Multiclean Wet/Dry Garage and Auto Vacuum Cleaner is a canister cleaner that has 6 gallons of dirt capacity and weighs just over 16 pounds. It is very reasonably priced and has a selection of features and tools that make it suitable for jobs that have a lot of different cleaning requirements and surfaces.
To start, it includes a blow function that can be used to clear leaves from garages. It has a crevice tool, precision cleaning tool, precision wet suction tool, and an upholstery brush as well as detailing nozzles. The 6.5-foot-long hose allows a good reach from the unit itself, but the Bissell does only have a 19-foot power cord, which will mean frequent plug changes in large spaces.
- 6-gallon capacity is decent
- A host of tools and features for a variety of jobs
- Can clean dry and wet dirt
- 19-foot power cord is restrictive
- Quite heavy at 16 pounds
9. Black+Decker Dustbuster Cordless Handheld Vacuum
|Vacuum weight:||2.6 pounds|
Handheld vacuums are extremely portable, lightweight, and convenient, but they have limited uses and are most often used to clean up after an unexpected spill. They may also prove useful for reaching difficult areas, but they aren’t often used as a commercial cleaner because they have limited dirt capacity, minimal suction power, and they can only cover a small space before they need emptying and, in the case of cordless cleaners, recharging.
The Black+Decker Dustbuster AdvancedClean Cordless Handheld Vacuum is a good-quality handheld cleaner that does a good job of picking up dirt. However, it does only have a 325-milliliter capacity, can only deal with dry dirt and will only run for approximately 20 minutes before it needs recharging. It is a useful tool for emergencies or for very specific areas and when your regular commercial vacuum doesn’t have the appropriate tools.
- Very light at just 2.6 pounds
- Cordless and handheld so easy to maneuver
- 325-milliliter capacity
- 20-minute runtime
10. Farag Industrial Vacuum Cleaner Wet/Dry
|Vacuum weight:||70 pounds|
The Farag Industrial Vacuum Cleaner Wet/Dry is a heavy-duty canister vacuum cleaner. It has a stainless-steel canister that is not only hard wearing but is crack proof and waterproof. It has a plastic pipe but a stainless steel, static-proof pipe, too. And, somewhat unusually, it is capable of both wet and dry cleaning and includes a dry nozzle and a wet nozzle. It also includes a host of other nozzles and tools to help reach difficult areas and to clean upholstery, furniture, and more.
Although it is clearly designed for commercial purposes, the Farag Industrial Vacuum Cleaner is heavy, weighing 70 pounds. It is expensive, too, and although the 24-foot power cable should be enough for most settings, it would benefit from being longer.
- 21-liter dirt capacity
- Wet and dry cleaning
- Very durable
- Weighs 70 pounds
- 24-foot power cord could be longer
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Commercial Vacuum
Commercial vacuums are similar in their function to household vacuums. They suck up dust and dirt from floors and, potentially, other surfaces. However, they are typically used for longer periods of time and have to deal with larger areas. The exact type of vacuum and desirable features will depend on how you use the cleaner and the type of area that is frequently cleaned.
The main types of commercial vacuums used are:
- Upright – The upright vacuum is a single unit that has a tank or cylinder above the cleaning head. These are easy to store and good all-round cleaners, but they tend to have less dust capacity than canisters and may not be convenient for vacuuming a lot of stairs or restricted space. Some of the most affordable commercial vacuums are upright cleaners.
- Canister – A canister cleaner has a wheeled canister or cylinder with a hose and nozzle. The canister is typically pulled around as you work and because it isn’t attached to the main unit, it has a much higher dust capacity. Again, canister vacuums aren’t convenient for use on stairs, but they are beneficial because they have such a large capacity for dust and dirt. While they can include extra attachments, additional nozzles aren’t as common with canister vacuums as they are with uprights.
- Backpack – The backpack vacuum cleaner is not as common as the upright or even the canister vacuum, but it does have its benefits and uses. The canister section of the vacuum is worn over the back, like a bag, with shoulder straps and a buckle around the waist to ensure it sits snugly. The weight of the canister is spread across the upper body, which should make it easier to carry the load, but these can still prove heavy. However, there is no canister to push or pull around because it is on your back. Although dust capacity can vary, it is worth bearing in mind that the more dust you carry, the heavier the backpack will be.
- Handheld – Handheld vacuums are rarely used for commercial cleaning, but they can be useful in offices and in other commercial settings for emergency clean-ups. They are very light and portable, but they have minimal dust capacity and tend to lack the power of other types of vacuums. However, many handheld vacuums are battery powered so there’s no need to worry about proximity to a wall outlet.
Commercial Vacuum Features
As well as choosing the style of vacuum, there are a number of features that you should consider, to ensure that you get the most appropriate cleaner for your needs.
Power Cord Length
Power cord length is important. Too short of a power cord and you will have to stop cleaning every few minutes to unplug the vacuum and find another outlet. Anything 25 feet or longer is considered a decent length, and there are some vacuums that have 50-foot cords. Too long of a cord, however, can be obtrusive and may prevent you from being able to easily move around and vacuum a wide area.
The weight of the vacuum determines how easy it is to push or pull around. Generally, a canister is easier to pull around than an upright is to push around, so these can weigh a little more, while backpacks vary greatly in weight, usually according to their dust capacity. Lightweight cleaners are considered to be those that are less than 10 pounds, while anything heavier than 20 pounds is a seriously heavy vacuum.
Whether a vacuum is bagged or bagless, and whether it uses disposable or reusable bags, the dust needs to be emptied at some point. Exactly when that point is will depend on the capacity of the vacuum. Capacity can be measured in liters or quarts and usually ranges from 5 liters to as much as 25 liters or more.
Bagged Vs Bagless
The dust that a vacuum collects has to go somewhere in the vacuum. Traditionally, it would have gone into a bag which would be emptied and replaced. Some modern vacuums still use replaceable bags, while others use disposable bags. And there are some designs that are bagless, so you empty the cylinder itself.
Disposable bags aren’t great for the environment but because you remove them and throw them away, it prevents you from being hit with a cloud of dust from the bag or cylinder opening. Replaceable bags can mean being faced with this dust, and even permanent bags will wear down and need replacing eventually.
Bagless vacuums usually have a button or trigger opening which enables you to put a little distance between yourself and the opening and you never need to replace the bag at all, but they are solid and do require occasional cleaning to prevent odors and other problems.
Vacuums are typically used to clean floors, whether they be hard floors or carpeted. In most cases, the vacuum needs to be able to cope with both types of hard floor, and this has different suction height and brush or roller requirements.
Some commercial cleaners have manual brush settings so that you can increase or decrease the height of the brushes and extend or retract them as required. Others can work on multiple floor types either by detecting the floor type themselves or having some kind of cleaner head that can deal with all surfaces.
If you only clean one type of floor, you can choose a specialist cleaner that deals best with this type of floor. Otherwise, look at how a vacuum cleans different types of floors.
Tools and Attachments
As well as floors, vacuums can be used to clean everything from furniture to curtains. They can be used to get down the side of cabinets and under desks, too, but only if they have the right attachments or hoses. Consider the types of space that you regularly clean and ensure that a vacuum includes the best tools to get the job done.
Commercial vacuums need to be durable and practical. Whether they are used daily or weekly, they will usually endure harder use than their home counterparts, and they need to be able to do so without losing power while also offering practicality and beneficial features.
Above, we have included reviews of 10 of the best commercial vacuums. We found the Oreck Commercial Upright Vacuum to be reasonably priced and with good features for commercial use. If you’re looking for a low-budget alternative, the Eureka NEU182A is really cheap and cleans well, although you do have to compromise in a few areas to enjoy such a low price.
Featured Image Credit: anete lusina, Pexels
- 1 A Quick Look at Our Favorites of 2023
- 2 The 10 Best Commercial Vacuums
- 2.1 1. Oreck Commercial Upright Bagged Vacuum Cleaner – Best Overall
- 2.2 2. Eureka NEU182A PowerSpeed Bagless Vacuum – Best Value
- 2.3 3. ProTeam Super QuarterVac Backpack Vacuum – Premium Choice
- 2.4 4. Vacmaster Beast Professional Series
- 2.5 5. Perfect Products C105 Lightweight Portable Canister Vacuum
- 2.6 6. Sanitaire Tradition Upright Bagged Commercial Vacuum
- 2.7 7. Hoover Commercial Lightweight Backpack Bagged Vacuum
- 2.8 8. Bissell Multiclean Wet/Dry Garage and Auto Vacuum Cleaner
- 2.9 9. Black+Decker Dustbuster Cordless Handheld Vacuum
- 2.10 10. Farag Industrial Vacuum Cleaner Wet/Dry
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Commercial Vacuum
- 4 Conclusion