How to Organize an Attic: 5 Tips & Tricks
For most of us, the attic is nothing more than a place to toss things that have no place. While this is mostly true, that doesn’t mean you can’t try to do something creative to make the most of this space. If you like decluttering and organizing, the attic is a great place to get in a little practice. Below, we share 5 tips to help you get your attic in the best shape possible, and a few tricks you can use along the way. With only a few simple items, you can make your attic more than just a storage room.
The 5 Tips & Tricks to Organize an Attic
1. Attic Office Space by Beth Bryan
|Cubbies (built by hand or store-bought), desk, and organizing bins
|Drill, hammer, nails, and screws
An attic office space is a great way to use your attic as a place to unwind or work. The cubbies included in this design can be built by hand or bought just like the desk. This plan will allow you to customize your space the way you want. The organizational bins let you tuck away small things, the cubbies are ideal for larger items you want to keep in place and out of sight. With only minimal tools and a lot of know-how, you can make this setup your own.
2. DIY Colored Storage Lockers by Sugar and Cloth
|Plain wooden lockers, paint, paint brushes, and painter’s tape
If you really want to make your attic stylish, adding DIY-colored storage lockers is a great idea. Not only do these lockers hold your things, but painting them your preferred colors will allow you to customize things the way you want to. With store-bought lockers, the customization is where you’ll be doing most of the work. Paint your lockers in your chosen colors and use them for whatever organization idea you have.
3. Joist Space Storage by Family Handy Man
|Wire shelving and plastic hooks
If you want to make the most of all parts of your attic, grabbing some wire shelving and plastic hooks at your local store provides you with the items needed to add a little joist space storage. By placing the shelves across your attic’s joists you can easily store boxes or storage bins to keep them off the floor and open more space in your attic.
4. DIY Storage Bin Organizer by Our Family Lifestyle
|Clear storage bins, shelving (built yourself or store-bought)
This DIY Storage Bin Organizer is a great way to get things cleaned up in your attic without a lot of hard work. If you’re handy with tools, you can build your own shelving. If not, simply pop by the store and buy one big enough for your space. Once put together, simply toss your stuff in the clear totes, label them, and place them on the shelves. You’ll be able to easily navigate through your things when the time comes.
5. Pegboard Organizer by The Inspired Room
|(4) 2 x 4s, screws, pegboard, pegboard hooks
A pegboard is a great way to organize any room of your home, especially the attic. This pegboard organizer is easy to make. With a few 2 x 4s, screws, and a piece of pegboard you can get your attic ready to host your tools, holiday decorations, or anything else you feel needs a home. You can even add small storage bins to make things more accessible.
Tips for an Organized Attic
Getting your attic together is a great way to feel better about the items you keep up there. Here are a few tips to help you get started when the organizing bug takes hold.
- Make a Plan – Whether you think you need it or not, having a plan on hand when you’re ready to start organizing your attic will make things go smoother. Simply assess your situation, take note of your space, and thoroughly plan out how you want things to look.
- Declutter – Before you start organizing you need to clean and declutter your attic. By tossing out all your unneeded items you can better determine what organizing materials you need.
- Use Clear Bins – If you use storage bins in your attic, choose clear ones. This allows you to see what’s inside the bins when you’re on the hunt for a particular item.
- Label Everything – To help you avoid issues with forgetfulness, take the time to label every storage bin or tote you may use. This makes things easier when you come looking during the holidays or special occasions.
As you can see, there are several ways you can make the most of your attic space. If you incorporate one, or all of these techniques, your attic will be looking better than ever. Most of these ideas can be done yourself with minimal work and materials. Simply use your imagination and make your attic come to life.
Featured Image Credit: Max Nustedt, Unsplash