How to Remove Tape Residue on Glass in 5 Effective Steps
We’ve all been in a tough situation when removing tape from some material, only to reveal a sticky residue that has the potential to ruin your project. If you try to remove the tape residue with your finger or wash it in water, you will only find yourself failing. There are several ways you can avoid this from happening, and the first step is to carefully remove the tape in the first place.
Read the article below to learn more effective ways and mediums to help you remove the tape residue.
What You’ll Need
Before you begin this project of removing tape residue from glass, there are a few things you need to gather beforehand. Collecting all the tools and materials and preparing them in time will save you a lot of energy once you start and will ensure everything runs smoothly.
- A large container
- Microfiber cloths
- Cotton pads
- Razor blades or dull knife
- Plastic wrap
- Olive oil
- White vinegar
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Nail polish remover
- Dishwashing liquid
- Safety equipment
The 5 Steps How to Remove Tape Residue on Glass
1. Take Safety Precautions
Your first step before any project that uses chemicals is to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. In this DIY, you will be dealing with fumes and chemicals, so taking all the safety precautions is necessary. Put on protective gloves and a mask and use chemical products in a well-ventilated area (open a window or use a fan). Keep the container with the solvent away from your children or pets. Read the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use the solvent for the best results.
2. Soak the Glass in Boiling Water
Your next step is to fill a glass container with boiling water in order to help peel off any glue residue. Soak the entire glass container in a bowl of boiling water and leave it in for 30 to 40 minutes. If your piece of glass cannot fit into a container, soak a cloth with boiling water and cover it for the same amount of time. For a better result, you can add dish soap into the mix, and with a sponge, softly rub on the surface of the glass. You can also use a hair dryer to heat the glass up, although moist heat can sometimes do a better job.
3. Peel Off the Tape
Once the tape softens due to heat, you can attempt to peel it off. If you still have a hard time peeling off the tape, try soaking a cotton pad with olive oil. It will soften the glue on the back of the tape and help you peel off the tape easily. Some glue residue may remain on the glass, in which case you can grab a dull knife or a razor and attempt to scrape some of the glue off.
4. Choose Your Cleaning Medium
You can use many solutions to remove tape residue from glass, and each is highly effective. Using these mediums is convenient because you can find them in your own home, and you probably already use them in the kitchen or for cleaning.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is perfect for cleaning sticky residue from the glue. You can soak a cotton pad with olive oil, place it on the sticky spot, and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it sit for 30 minutes, and then scrape any leftovers with a knife.
- Isopropyl Alcohol: To have the best effect of this cleaning solution, pour it on a cotton pad or tissue paper. Place the cotton pad that is soaked in isopropyl alcohol on the glass and let it sit for 10 minutes. Scrape the leftover residue off. Give the glass a final polish with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth.
- White Vinegar: White vinegar is fantastic for cleaning most surfaces around the home, including glass. It repels dust and cleans even the toughest and stickiest stains in the kitchen. Pour white vinegar on one side of the cloth and scrape the glue residue from the glass. With the dry part of the cloth, rub away any excess moisture.
- Nail Polish Remover: Almost every household has a bottle of nail polish remover, so if you are having issues removing the sticky tape residue off a glass, you can try using this solution. Pour nail polish remover on a pad and let it soak on the residue for a few minutes. Remove the pad and clean the rest of the glue off.
5. Wash and Wipe the Glass
Because some solvents can cause a skin reaction, washing the glass object thoroughly is essential, especially if you use this container for food or drinks. Washing the glass will also help you clean off any leftover residue that accumulated on the glass. You can use the glass bowl with warm water and dish soap that you previously used for cleaning the glass.
Once you read this article, you will hopefully be able to remove the tape residue easily without causing any more complications. Before attempting to remove the tape, it is essential to heat the glass, either with a hairdryer or with a boiling bowl of water. This will help soften the tape’s adhesive and make it peel off much easier.
- How to Get Tape Residue Off a Car Without Damaging It — 8 Tips and Tricks
- How to Remove Adhesive Tape From Walls: 3 Tips & Tricks
- See also: How to Remove Adhesive Tape From Walls: 3 Tips & Tricks
Featured Image Credit: Khaligo, Pixabay