10 Best Bathroom Cleaners in 2023 — Reviews & Top Picks
One look online or in the household cleaner section at the store, and you’re assaulted with an overwhelming amount of cleaning products for your bathroom. You could spend your time reading through reviews online or spend a few minutes reading through these reviews—conveniently in one place!
We’ve done some of the legwork for you and brought 10 reviews together for some of the best products available to clean your bathroom. And after the reviews, we’ve included a short buying guide to help you make sense of some options.
A Quick Look at Our Favorites in 2023
|Best Overall||Clorox Disinfecting Cleaner||
|Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner||
|Premium Choice||Comet Bathroom Cleaner||
|Mr. Clean Magic Eraser||
|CLR Bathroom Cleaner||
The 10 Best Best Bathroom Cleaners
1. Clorox Disinfecting Cleaner – Best Overall
|Recommended Use:||Hard surfaces|
Clorox has been a well-known name for powerful household cleaners for many years. This particular one takes the best overall bathroom cleaner spot for a couple of reasons. It’s a reasonable price for a pack of two. In addition, it offers disinfecting power without using bleach.
While bleach is a powerful cleaning chemical, it’s harsh on the skin and, if accidentally mixed with other chemicals, can create toxic and deadly fumes. One downside to this cleaner is that it doesn’t foam, which is an important feature in many bathroom cleaning situations.
- Bleach-free cleaning
- Kills 99.9% of germs
- Gets rid of mold and mildew
- Effective cleaner of dirt, grime, and soap scum
- No foaming action
2. Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner
|Recommended Use:||Hard bathroom surfaces|
|Scent:||Rainshower or lemon-fresh|
This value-pack of scrubbing bubbles cleaner is the best bathroom cleaner for the money because it offers good value, and it goes a long way. When you spray it on, it foams upon the area you’re trying to clean, which helps the cleaner go further as opposed to a straight spray-on cleaner. Another benefit of the foam is that it expands into hard-to-reach places for effective cleaning.
One downfall of this cleaner is that some people find that both scents can be unpleasant and smell very chemical-like.
- Suitable for dirt and hard water stains
- Kills 99.9% of bacteria
- Removes soap scum
- Multiple scents available
- Expanding foam to clean hard-to-reach areas
- Some people find the scent unpleasant
3. Comet Bathroom Cleaner – Premium Choice
|Recommended Use:||Commercial use on hard surfaces|
If you’re looking for something that works a bit harder than your run-of-the-mill bathroom cleaner, Comet Bathroom Cleaner is a great choice. It’s advertised as a disinfecting cleaner for the bathroom, but it’s capable of cleaning most hard surfaces effectively. And it’s non-abrasive, so you don’t have to worry about scratching sensitive surfaces.
Although, if you use it on travertine tiles, it will leave streaks and etch the surface. And it’s recommended you rinse most surfaces after cleaning, which is an annoying extra step. However, it cleans well, so it seems like a fair trade.
- Cleans and sanitizes in a single step
- The non-abrasive formula offers gentle but powerful cleaning
- Cleans tough soap scum and stains effectively
- Effective on mold and mildew
- Multi-purpose cleaner
- Surfaces must be rinsed after cleaning
4. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
|Recommended Use:||Walls, showers, and doors|
Most of us have experienced the cleaning power of magic erasers. It truly seems like magic the way that it cleans things. Crayon on the wall, no problem. Grime in the bathtub, easy peasy. Burnt grease on the stovetop, no worries.
When it comes to bathrooms, magic erasers are excellent choices for cleaning the bathtub and showers. The best part is that it does all its cleaning without harsh chemicals, yet it has four times the cleaning power compared to the leading all-purpose bleach spray.
- No harsh chemicals
- Incredible cleaning power compared to bleach cleaners
- Multi-use for around the whole house
- Cleans built-up dirt and grime with micro-scrubbers
- Only requires water for cleaning
- Hard to reach some spots
- Can’t soak tough stains or dirt
5. CLR Bathroom Cleaner
|Recommended Use:||Hard surfaces around the house|
CLR is another common household name. What its name stands for—Calcium, Lime, and Rust—is a testament to how effective it is in your bathroom. While it’s marketed as a bathroom cleaner, it’s suitable for any hard surfaces when you need a tough cleaner for those hard-to-clean messes.
Because this is a foaming formula, it’s a great choice when you need to let the cleaner sit for a few minutes on those stubborn messes. The fact that it’s a biodegradable formula that doesn’t use harsh chemicals is also a bonus.
- Effective multi-purpose cleaner
- No phosphates, ammonia, or bleach
- American made
- Doesn’t leave a residue
- Not recommended for any bathroom fixtures except stainless steel or chrome
- Can damage surfaces if left to soak too long
6. Lysol Hydrogen Peroxide Bathroom Cleaner
|Recommended Use:||Bathroom tile|
|Scent:||Fresh clean or spring breeze|
There isn’t really anything wrong with bleach. It cleans extremely well and kills pretty much all germs. However, it can be quite hard on your skin and sometimes creates toxic fumes. This cleaner gives you another bleach-free option without sacrificing cleaning power. Even without bleach, it’s effective on soap scum, mold, and mildew.
Lysol markets this product for the bathroom, although it’s effective on most hard surfaces throughout the house. Keep in mind that it requires rinsing on surfaces that come into contact with any food products. Also, there are quite a few complaints about the smell being quite strong—and not pleasant.
- Effective cleaner without bleach
- Soft on skin, eyes, and nose
- Kills 99.9% of viruses and bacteria
- Tough on soap scum and grease
- Requires rinsing after cleaning
- Needs to sit in order to disinfect properly
- Lots of complaints about the smell
7. Green Works Bathroom Cleaner
|Recommended Use:||Bathroom’s hard surfaces|
A list of cleaning supplies wouldn’t be complete without at least one natural product. The same makers of Clorox also produce this Green Works cleaner, so you know it’s not junk. The best part is that it cleans without any harsh chemicals, and the cleaner is biodegradable.
This cleaner performs well against typical bathroom messes like water staining, rust, or soap scum and mildew. However, it lacks the cleaning versatility of comparable chemical-filled cleaners. Also, it doesn’t actually disinfect. So, if you’re looking for something that kills all the germs, you’re better off with a different product on this list.
- No harsh chemicals
- Effective on hard water stains, rust, and soap scum
- Plant and mineral-based ingredients
- Doesn’t disinfect
- Not as multi-purpose as some comparable chemical cleaners
8. Biokleen Bathroom Cleaner
|Recommended Use:||Multi-use on multiple surfaces|
Biokleen also produces an all-natural, plant-based cleaner. The nice thing about this cleaner is that it also has a pleasant fragrance that acts as a deodorizer. Since a bathroom can smell unpleasant, a cleaner that smells nice is a big bonus. The fact that it’s all-natural is also a big thing for those looking for more eco-friendly products.
Unfortunately, like many other natural cleaners, this one lacks the toughness necessary for severe messes. This shouldn’t be a problem for the person who keeps up on the soap scum and mildew in the bathroom. But keep in mind that it isn’t marketed as a disinfectant, which many people want for the bathroom.
- A pleasant, natural smell
- Plant-based cleaner
- No harsh chemicals
- Doesn’t disinfect
- Struggles with severe soap scum or mildew
- Quite a few complaints about the included spray bottle
- Some people find it expensive for what you get
9. Amazon Commercial All-Purpose Cleaner
Amazon has all sorts of amazing products, and the Amazon Commercial line has introduced this incredible all-purpose cleaner. And when it comes to tackling tough messes in the bathroom, you likely won’t be disappointed in how well it works.
It’s extremely convenient to mix. When you order it, the cleaner comes in a concentrated pod. You simply put the pod in a 32-ounce spray bottle and fill it with water. Give it a shake and you have a great bathroom cleaner.
- Convenient concentrated pods
- Nice lavender smell
- Not specifically formulated for bathroom use
- Some people complain it’s overpriced for what you get
- If the pod pops or dissolves before mixing, you lose the cleaner
10. La’s Totally Awesome Bathroom Cleaner
|Recommended Use:||Bathroom and shower|
La’s Totally Awesome is a brand that you may not be familiar with. However, this cleaner does receive pretty decent reviews from its users. A major draw is that it’s another cleaner that doesn’t use harsh chemicals like acid, ammonia, or bleach.
On the other hand, like those same natural cleaners, this one suffers from a similar fate. It lacks some cleaning power compared to others on the market. For all the positive comments on this product, there were also a lot of negative comments about its packaging and the sprayer not working well. So, you may have to transfer the cleaner to a different bottle if you go with this one.
- Suitable on most hard surfaces
- No harsh chemicals
- The sprayer doesn’t work well
- No nice scent
- Lacks intense cleaning power
- May be overpriced for what you get
Buyer’s Guide: How to Select the Best Bathroom Cleaners
Here are a few things to consider when purchasing a bathroom cleaner
Chemicals or No Chemicals
Many options are available now that are backed by chemical-cleaning power or all-natural ingredients. Many people would say that chemical cleaners are better. However, if you’re sensitive to chemicals or have children around, opting for natural cleaners without harsh ingredients like bleach or ammonia might be a better bet.
Type of Cleaner
There are three main types of cleaners; liquid spray, foaming spray, and concentrate. A foaming spray is a great option if you’re tackling tough stains or hard-to-reach areas. For everyday use, regular liquid spray is a common choice. And if you’re going through a lot of cleaner—like in a commercial application—then concentrate is probably your best option.
If we’re talking cleaners, scent plays a big role. Are you one of those people who loves the chemically fresh smell, or do you prefer pleasant citrus or flowery smells? The other thing to consider with scent is its potency. If you’re sensitive to smells, a potent scent may not be ideal.
Being concerned about the environment is a valid consideration when it comes to chemicals. There are many products on the market that have eco-friendly and biodegradable ingredients. Either that or sometimes they are simply produced in a more sustainable way than competitors.
Maybe you don’t want a cleaner that’s only good for one job in the bathroom, or maybe you want something that will disinfect as well. Regardless, it’s important to decide what you want the cleaner to do because this will push you in one direction or the other for the one you buy.
As the reviews demonstrate, any product on this list will clean your bathroom effectively, but some just do it better. Our top pick—the Clorox disinfecting spray—is one of the best cleaners available and is backed by the name that Clorox has built.
In some situations, the power of scrubbing bubbles might be the ticket you need to get into those hard-to-reach areas. Whichever cleaner you end up going with, we hope that these reviews and the buying guide have been helpful in your decision.
- See Also: Best Shower Tile Cleaners
- Related Read: The 10 Best Tile Floor Cleaners Are
Featured Image Credit: Maryna Pleshkun, Shutterstock
- 1 A Quick Look at Our Favorites in 2023
- 2 The 10 Best Best Bathroom Cleaners
- 2.1 1. Clorox Disinfecting Cleaner – Best Overall
- 2.2 2. Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner
- 2.3 3. Comet Bathroom Cleaner – Premium Choice
- 2.4 4. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
- 2.5 5. CLR Bathroom Cleaner
- 2.6 6. Lysol Hydrogen Peroxide Bathroom Cleaner
- 2.7 7. Green Works Bathroom Cleaner
- 2.8 8. Biokleen Bathroom Cleaner
- 2.9 9. Amazon Commercial All-Purpose Cleaner
- 2.10 10. La’s Totally Awesome Bathroom Cleaner
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: How to Select the Best Bathroom Cleaners
- 4 Conclusion