10 Best Impact Socket Sets of 2023 – Reviews, Top Picks & Guide
If you are a mechanic or a hobby auto-enthusiast, an impact wrench is an important tool to have. Of course, the wrench without the sockets is like the car without the engine; one doesn’t work without the other.
Finding a good set is easier said than done, right? If you have looked around for a set recently, you know there are too many options to make a solid decision without second-guessing. Trying to find a case that has the sizes, lengths, and impact you need is a job onto itself. Who has that kind of time?
We do! After a lot of trial and error, we narrowed the field to 10 of the best impact socket sets you can buy. If you want to see the details on features like size, material, durability, and much more, check out our reviews below.
Not only will we share which set is our top recommendation and which one we think you should avoid, we will also give you some extra tips on locating a good alternative when you’re in a pinch.
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites in 2023
|Best Overall||TEKTON 4817 Drive 6-Point Impact Socket Set||
|Best Value||EPAuto ST-015-2 Drive SAE Deep Impact Socket Set||
|Premium Choice||Neiko 02330A Drive Metric Impact Socket Set||
|GEARWRENCH 84934N Drive 6 Pt. Impact Socket Set||
|Stanley 97-126 Drive Metric Deep Impact Socket Set||
The 10 Best Impact Socket Sets
1. TEKTON Drive 6-Point Impact Socket Set – Best Overall
Our first and favorite socket set is the TEKTON 4817 Drive 6-Point Impact Socket Set. This is a 14-piece set that works with a 1/2-inch drive. It comes with both metric sizes and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) sizes, so you will always have the right socket for your needs. This case comes with high torque, 6-point pieces that grab the flat side of the fastener keeping you from stripping or damaging the metal.
This set includes sockets from 11 mm to 32 mm, and 3/8-inch to 1 1/4-inch. These tools also have a shallow depth allowing you to grab hold in tight spaces. What’s more, they are laser etched with the size, so it won’t rub off. This will keep you from ever having to search for a specific socket again. The TEKTON is also coated in corrosion-resistant black phosphate. Made of forged and heat-treated chrome vanadium steel, the set is durable and long-lasting.
These sockets meet or exceed the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards. You will also receive a durable carrying case that will keep all your pieces in their specific (and labeled) spot. Overall, this is our favorite option as the best impact socket set.
- Metric and SAE sizes
- Durable high torque
- Strong chrome vanadium steel
- Laser-etched sizes
- Black phosphate coated
- Meet ANSI standards
- None we can see
2. EPAuto Drive SAE Deep Impact Socket Set – Best Value
For a more affordable set, we recommend the EPAuto ST-015-2 Drive SAE Deep Impact Socket Set. Complete with 11-pieces, this 1/2-inch drive set also comes with a 24-inch breaker bar, plus they are compatible with extension bars, as well. This collection has SAE sizing between 3/8-inch to 1-inch. They are made of hardened, treated chrome vanadium steel alloy that is durable and strong.
The EPAuto sockets have 6-points allowing them to grasp the flat edges of the bolt to remove it without damage. These are also deep sockets with high torque capacity. They are corrosion-resistant with a coating of manganese phosphate. What’s more, they have a sandblasted finish.
You can also pick this set up in shallow sockets. They come with a convenient carry case that is durable. These sockets can loosen rusted, old, and corroded metal fasteners in tough locations. The only drawback is they don’t have laser etched sizing. Unfortunately, the sizing will eventually wear off. Other than that, this is the best impact socket set for the money.
- Various SAE sizes
- High torque capacity
- Corrosion-resistant phosphate coated
- Comes with a breaker bar
- Treated chrome vanadium steel alloy
- Sizing is not laser etched
3. Neiko Drive Metric Impact Socket Set – Premium Choice
If you are someone who uses their impact wrench regularly, you will need an above quality socket set that will last. If that is the case, our premium option is a good place to start. The Neiko 02330A Drive Metric Impact Socket Set is a 45-piece set with both shallow and deep sockets. Used with a 1/2-inch drive, these metric tools range from 9–32 mm. They are constructed of top grade chrome vanadium steel for durability and strength.
With this set, you will receive an extension bar, universal joint and adapter, and a carry case with labels. They are coated in black phosphate keeping them from corrosion and rust. You will also be able to loosen all fasteners with the 6-point system. What’s more, the sockets are laser etched in high contrast making the sizing permanent and visible in low light.
The Neiko comes with a 3-inch, 5-inch, and 10-inch extension bar using a 1/2-inch drive. The adapter works with either a 3/8-inch or 1/2-inch drive. The only drawback is they are more expensive than our previous two picks.
- Top grade chrome vanadium steel
- Comes with an extension bar and universal joint and adapter
- Laser-etched high contrast sizing
- Deep and shallow assortment
4. GEARWRENCH Drive 6 Pt. Impact Socket Set
The GEARWRENCH 84934N Drive 6 Pt. Impact Socket is a 19-piece set made of chrome molybdenum alloy steel. They are strong and durable and well able to remove the most stubborn bolts. You will also not need to worry about stripping with off corner technology and 6-point grip. Made for a 1/2-inch drive, the sockets have an additional attachment point for a traditional ratchet.
This set comes in the SAE sizing, although you can get the metric set, as well. The chamfered openings range from 3/8-inch to 1 1/2-inch. Sizes 3/8-inch, 7/16-inch, and 9/16-inch are also made with a parallel, neck-down design allowing you to reach restricted areas. Additionally, this set meets or exceeds the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) B107.2 specifications.
The GEARWRENCH comes with a carry case for easy storage. Unfortunately, it’s not as durable as we would like. What’s more, the black phosphate coating scratches off easily with moderate use. Be that as it may, the laser-etched sizing is resilient and will allow you to read them even in low light. Even with these two minor drawbacks, this is still a solid option for an impact socket set.
- Durable and strong
- Chrome alloy steel
- Three parallel neck-down sockets
- Laser-etched sizing
- Meets ASME specifications
- The case is not durable
- The black finish wears off
5. Stanley Drive Metric Deep Impact Socket Set
If you need a basic set for repairing your automobile or working around the house, the Stanley 97-126 Drive Metric Deep Impact Socket Set is a good option to consider. This is an 11-piece unit that has metric sizing on deep sockets. They also work with a 1/2-inch drive, and they have the typical 6-point design to better grip bolts and nuts without damaging or stripping them.
Stanley sockets are made from chrome vanadium steel alloy. They also have a black powder coat and an industrial finish. One drawback, however, is the etched sizing that is difficult to see especially when the light is low. Besides that, the sockets range in size from 10 mm to 24 mm. Keep in mind, though, there are a few standard sizes this set does not include like 15 mm, 18 mm, and 23 mm.
As mentioned, this socket set has a 6-point grip. There is also no contact on 5% of the outer fastener which will reduce the wear. This set is up to, or exceeds, ANSI specifications as well. Lastly, you will receive a carry case for the Stanley socket set. Be careful to close the clasps tightly, however, to prevent it from opening while in transit.
- Durable chrome steel alloy
- Meets ANSI specifications
- 5% less contact causing less wear on bolts
- Powder coat industrial finish
- Missing standard sizes
- Etched sizing is hard to see
6. TEKTON Drive 6-Point Impact Socket Set
If you are in the market for a larger socket set, the TEKTON 4888 Drive 6-Point Socket Set may be the right option for you. This case comes with 38-pieces with both shallow and deep sockets along with both metric and SAE sizing. As is typical for this type of unit, the pieces are designed for a 1/2-inch drive, though you also get ones that work with a 3/8-inch drive as well. On top of that, they have a 6-point grip system to loosen bolts with as little damage as possible.
In the Tekton set, you will receive six shallow sockets the 3/8-inch drive, and 10 deep sockets for the 1/2-inch drive. For the metric pieces, you will find seven shallow sockets from 8–17 mm for a 3/8-inch drive, plus 11 shallow sockets from 10 mm to 24 mm for the 1/2-inch drive. You will also receive two 3-inch extension bars made for both the 1/2-inch and 3/8-inch drive, and one 1/2-drive impact reducer. Not to mention, the carry case.
Each piece in the set is drop forged, heat-treated chrome vanadium steel that has a black electroplate finish making them corrosion-resistant. You will also find beveled noses, and the sockets lock onto the drive tang. One set back with this option, however, is the sizing. Although it mentions being laser etched, the sizing is only stamped, so it wears off quickly. What’s more, the black finish scratches easily.
A couple things to keep in mind is this socket set doesn’t come with a universal joint adapter. Also, they are not as heavy-duty as some other options. Finally, you may find yourself having a hard time in tight spaces with the TEKTON set.
- Various sizing and depth set
- Chrome vanadium steel
- Sockets lock onto drive tang
- Comes with extension bar and impact reducer
- Sizing is stamped not laser etched
- Not as heavy-duty
- Black finish scratches
- Lacks a universal joint adapter
7. DEWALT Impact Socket Set
The DEWALT DWMT74739 Impact Socket Set comes with 23-pieces of heat-treated chrome 440 steel. This is a deep metric and SAE sized set that has a 6-point grip and 1/2-inch drive compatibility. They have direct torque technology, plus you will also receive a 72-tooth hand ratchet with your purchase. Unfortunately, the hand ratchet is not durable and is likely to break quickly. What’s more, these sockets are not for professional or heavy-duty jobs.
The DEWALT sockets are compatible with O-ring and retaining pins. They come with a lockable stacking case. Additionally, the sizing is laser etched for high visibility, though they are still difficult to see in low light. On the other hand, the black oxide coating does a credible job of keeping the tools corrosion-free, but it can scratch over time.
With this set, you will receive 10 sockets from 7/16-inch to 1-inch, and ten sockets from 13 mm to 24 mm. There is also a 5-inch extension bar, drill adapter, and quick release for a 1/2-inch drive. What you will not receive, however, is a 10 mm socket, which is a standard piece many people find necessary in a set. Be that as it may, this set meets or exceeds ANSI specifications.
- Heat-treated chrome steel
- Metric and SAE sizing
- O-ring and retaining pin compatible
- Black oxide coating
- Missing a 10 mm socket
- Sizing is not visible in low light
- Not for heavy torque
- Hand ratchet is not durable
- The coating can scratch over time
8. TACKLIFE HIS1A Drive Impact Socket Set
Available as an 18-piece set, the TACKLIFE HIS1A Drive Impact Socket Set is ready to be used with the standard 1/2-inch drive. The deep sockets come in metric sizing, though you can purchase the SAE set as well. The 6-point grip ranges from 10 mm to 24 mm, and they are made of heat-treated chrome vanadium steel.
The TACKLIFE socket set is anti-oil and rust thanks to the black phosphate coating. They also have the laser-etched sizing, but after some use, the sizing is known to wear down and becomes difficult to read. Besides that, you get a customized carry case for easy storage, plus the sockets lock onto the tang.
As another perk, you will receive three extension bars with this toolset. They come in three inches, five inches, and 10 inches and are meant for a 1/2-inch drive. Unfortunately, these sockets have thinner walls, and they are liable to crack under heavy pressure. This set is not recommended for anything more strenuous than light work. You will also find the sockets are prone to stripping bolts and nuts even without a lot of torque. Finally, the carrying case for this set is not the most durable. Additionally, many customers have found the lack of bigger sizes is difficult.
- Comes with three extension bars
- Anti-oil and rust coating
- Locks on drive tang
- Sockets can crack
- Sizing is hard to read
- For light use only
- Missing bigger sizes
- Thinner walls can stip fasteners
9. CASOMAN Drive Impact Socket Set
Our second to last place pick is the CASOMAN CS004 Drive Impact Socket Set. This is a versatile set that comes with both deep and shallow sockets along with SAE and metric sizing. They can also be used with either a 1/2-inch drive or a 3/8-inch drive. The pieces are made of chrome vanadium alloy steel, plus they are heat-treated. They also meet ANSI specifications.
With this set, you will get 10 deep sockets for the 1/2-inch drive, and six shallow sockets for the 3/8-inch drive. There are also 11 shallow sockets ranging from 10–24 mm for the 1/2-inch drive, plus seven shallow sockets between 8–17 mm for the 3/8-inch drive. Additionally, you will find two 3-inch extension bars for both drives and a 1/2-inch drive 3/8-inch adapter.
While you have many socket sizes to choose from, there are some drawbacks to this set. For example, the CASOMAN sizing is done in black and is very difficult to see. The sockets are of poor quality as well. They are known to strip and damage your bolts, plus they often crack and break. Additionally, this set is prone to corrosion. The black electroplated finish is weak at best. What’s worse, many customers find the set is missing parts that are meant to be in the case. Lastly, the case with this set is not usable. It typically comes broken but is not designed to hold the weight of the tools.
- Various sizes and depths
- Meet ANSI specifications
- The set is not durable
- Sizing is hard to see
- Missing parts in the set
- Sockets strip and damaged fasteners
- The case is not durable
- Sockets are opted to corrode
10. Hiltex Drive Deep Impact Socket Set
Our final set is the Hiltex 0244 Drive Deep Impact Socket Set. This is an SAE 14-piece set that is used with the standard 1/2-inch drive. The sizes range from 3/8-inch to 1 1/4-inch, and they are made of high strength alloy steel. Unfortunately, the steel is not strong nor durable. The sockets will crack and break easily with little force. Not only that, but the electroplated finish rubs off on your hands, plus the black sizing is impossible to see.
The Hiltex sockets are extra deep, which allows you to access full-length fasteners easier. They also have a ball hole for secure locking. Keep in mind, however, the locking does not work. Speaking of which, this is a set designed for only the easiest of fasteners, otherwise it will strip and damage your pieces.
Overall, this is our least favorite option for an impact socket set. Many customers have found the sizing to be off by quite a bit on a lot of the sockets, plus the 6-point grip does not work as it should. Instead of grabbing the flat side, it uses the corners thus causing the bolts and nuts to round off. If you are looking for a quality set or even an “around the house” option, this is not the way we would recommend.
- Extra deep sockets
- Steel is soft and not durable
- Sockets strip and round fasteners
- Sizing is hard to read
- Black finish rubs off on your hands
- Sizing is incorrect or off
- Sockets crack and break
Buyer’s Guide – Choosing the Best Impact Socket Set
An impact wrench and socket set are handy tools to have around the house. Even if you do not need this tool for work-related projects, they can be valuable for changing tires, taking apart furniture, fixing machinery, and much more.
As you saw above, socket sets can come with several different features. Which one you choose is determined by what you will be using them for. In light of this, we wanted to point out a few things you should consider before making a decision.
- Metric or SAE Sizing: Finding a set that has both metric and SAE (American) sizing is usually the best way to go. For example, American machinery will use the SAE sizing, but most cars now use the metric system.
- Steel: Several different types of steel sockets will come in. You will mostly see either chrome vanadium steel or chrome-molybdenum steel. Molybdenum is also called vanadium alloy, and it is more expensive than its counterpart. Besides that, the two metals are very similar. What typically makes the difference is whether or not the metal has been heat-treated or hardened which can make the tool stronger.
- Coating: Impact sockets are usually either coated or plated. When they are coated (phosphate coating), a powder is applied which gives the item a stronger than paint finish. Electroplating, on the other hand, does the same but also creates corrosion and abrasion-resistant surface. Of course, this can depend on the quality of the coating or plating.
- Sizing Labels: In most cases, you want to look for high contrast laser etched sizing. This is where the manufacturer uses a laser to cut the size into the socket then coats it with a contrasting color. When this is done, you do not have to worry about the sizing wearing off, plus it makes it easier to see in low light.
- 6-point Grip: This is important for keeping your nuts, bolts, and fasteners in good shape. The 6-point grip allows the socket to “grip” the flat sides of the bolt instead or the corners where they could be rounded off and “stripped”. This also helps remove rusted or stubborn fasteners.
- Shallow or Deep: This last feature will depend on your needs. If you are working on cars, you will likely need both, but deep is important for getting to the hard to reach bolts. In most cases, we recommend dual options.
We hope you have enjoyed our reviews of the best impact socket sets, and it has helped find the right tools for your next project or job. To recap, our favorite pick is the TEKTON 4817 Drive 6-Point Impact Socket Set. This gives you the option of both sizes, and it packs a punch with its durability. If you need something more wallet-friendly, however, we suggest going with the EPAuto ST-015-2 Drive SAE Deep Impact Socket Set. This is an ideal setting for working around the house or fixing up old cars.
More buyer’s guides:
Reviews of Makita Impact Drivers
DeWalt Impact Drivers Reviewed
- 1 A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites in 2023
- 2 The 10 Best Impact Socket Sets
- 2.1 1. TEKTON Drive 6-Point Impact Socket Set – Best Overall
- 2.2 2. EPAuto Drive SAE Deep Impact Socket Set – Best Value
- 2.3 3. Neiko Drive Metric Impact Socket Set – Premium Choice
- 2.4 4. GEARWRENCH Drive 6 Pt. Impact Socket Set
- 2.5 5. Stanley Drive Metric Deep Impact Socket Set
- 2.6 6. TEKTON Drive 6-Point Impact Socket Set
- 2.7 7. DEWALT Impact Socket Set
- 2.8 8. TACKLIFE HIS1A Drive Impact Socket Set
- 2.9 9. CASOMAN Drive Impact Socket Set
- 2.10 10. Hiltex Drive Deep Impact Socket Set
- 3 Buyer’s Guide – Choosing the Best Impact Socket Set
- 4 Conclusion