10 Best Shower Curtain Rods in 2023 – Reviews & Top Picks
The bathroom is often the most underrated area for design in a home. If you decide to get serious about improving your bathroom decor, one of the easiest upgrades you can make is to install a new shower curtain rod and shower curtain.
There are hundreds of options to choose from, but we’ve simplified these choices for you. We’ve narrowed them down to 10 products complete with in-depth reviews. Each review is complete with a pros and cons list to help you determine if that shower curtain rod is the right fit for your bathroom.
A Glance at Our Top Picks (2023 Update)
|Best Overall||PrettyHome Adjustable Curved Shower Curtain Rod||
|Best Value||Amazon Basics Tension Curtain Rod||
|Premium Choice||TEECK Adjustable Shower Curtain Rod||
|Zenna Home Adjustable Shower Curtain Rod||
|Hoachily Curved Shower Curtain Rod||
The 10 Best Shower Curtain Rods
1. PrettyHome Adjustable Curved Shower Curtain Rod – Best Overall
|Available Colors:||Black, bronze, chrome, brushed nickel, white|
Tension-mounted shower curtain rods are convenient, but this adjustable shower curtain rod by PrettyHome is our best overall curtain rod pick for a few reasons. First off, it’s rust-proof and corrosion-resistant because it’s aluminum. So, it will last for a long time. Secondly, it’s available in multiple finishes and is adjustable to fit different-sized showers.
This curtain rod is ideal for any material—tile, drywall, or plastic surround. There is no reason for pre-drilling or anchors if you’re going into a stud in the drywall. However, if you’re going into tile, instructions are included on how to pre-drill so you don’t break the tile.
- Multiple finishes available
- Requires tools
2. Amazon Basics Tension Curtain Rod – Best Value
|Available Colors:||Black, bronze, chrome, white, nickel|
The Amazon Basics tension rod is the best shower curtain rod for the money. Often, when we spend less, it equals a lower-quality product. That is not the case with this tension-mounted curtain rod. One of the best features about this one is the fact that there are multiple models available in different colors and with a huge variety in widths.
Like any tension-mounted curtain rod, it can’t hold a ton of weight. Also, the rubber pads on each end will eventually wear out. So, you won’t be able to put a heavy shower curtain up. You can purchase adhesive pads to increase the weight capacity, though.
- Versatile due to width options
- Toolless installation
- Ideal for many shower surround materials
- Seven-pound maximum weight
- Will eventually wear out
3. TEECK Adjustable Shower Curtain Rod – Premium Choice
|Available Colors:||Black, brown, gold, silver, white|
If you’re looking for a good balance between quality and price, this adjustable shower curtain rod by TEECK is an excellent choice. It’s available in several different finishes—all of which are rust-free and corrosion-resistant. Depending on your needs, there are also several width options to choose from.
Because of the spring system that this curtain rod uses, TEECK claims that there are no worries of it collapsing once you put it up. With the high customer satisfaction this rod receives, there must be some truth to the company’s claims.
- Rust-free and corrosion-resistant
- Multiple finishes to choose from
- Toolless installation
- Reasonable price
- Eventually, the tension spring wears out
- Can’t separate rod pieces to slide on smaller rings
4. Zenna Home Adjustable Shower Curtain Rod
|Available Colors:||White, brushed nickel, black|
Unlike our top tension rod picks, this adjustable shower curtain rod does not use spring tension. However, it’s still a great pick if you’re looking for a simple installation. Depending on the width you need, you’ll use either two or three of the rod pieces included.
This rod won’t be an ideal solution if you have heavy curtains to hang. But this is an affordable solution that still gives you a long-lasting shower curtain rod. Plus, being a steel alloy, the rod is rust-resistant. So, you don’t have to worry about the finish being ruined.
- Durable and long-lasting alloy steel
- Toolless installation
- Several finishes to choose from
- Lacks heavy weight capacity
- Not spring tension; relies on twisting to mount
- Strength isn’t ideal for full extension
5. Hoachily Curved Shower Curtain Rod
According to the manufacturer, this curved shower curtain rod provides 30% more room in the shower because of the wide curve. This is a good option if the one available finish matches your bathroom decor.
This curved curtain rod is wall-mounted, so there are no worries of it falling once installed. However, there have been numerous complaints about it not being the easiest shower rod to install. This won’t be a problem if you’re a seasoned DIYer, though.
- Increased shower space because of the curve
- Adjustable and permanent mount
- Permanent mount
- Only one color and finish are available
- The hardware provided isn’t always sufficient
- Installation can be challenging
6. JS Jackson Double Curved Shower Rod
|Available Widths:||44″ -70″|
|Available Colors:||Black, brushed nickel, chrome, oil-rubbed bronze|
Many people who use a shower curtain and a liner will install them on the same rod. It works alright and does the trick. However, hanging them on different rods keeps the curtain cleaner and helps it last longer because of the separation from the liner.
There are some great positives to this shower rod that lead to it being in the top 10, but some customers have had negative experiences. JS Jackson is pretty adamant about customer satisfaction, though. So, if there are any problems, they want to make them right.
- Double rod system
- Permanent mount with easy install
- Several available finishes
- Provided hardware is not great
- Brackets aren’t the same quality as the rod
- Rust-proof but not scratch-resistant
7. Vailge Tension Shower Curtain Rod
|Available Colors:||Black, matte nickel, stainless steel|
This tension-mounted shower curtain rod from Vailge is available in two sizes to give you a significant amount of adjustment. The kit also includes shower curtain hooks, which is super handy because they match the style and finish.
Like any spring-tension curtain rod, its ability to stay up relies on the spring being in good condition. There have been some complaints about the spring not lasting a long time. However, stainless steel gives it a decent amount of rust and corrosion resistance.
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Powerful tension spring to keep it in place
- Adjustable with toolless installation
- Only two finishes available other than bare steel
- Minimal weight capacity
- Once the spring wears out, it won’t stay up very well
8. Zenna Home Curved Shower Curtain Rod
|Available Colors:||Bronze, brushed nickel|
The Zenna Home curved shower curtain rod gives you multiple options for installation. This is a bonus if you’re in a rental, but if you don’t mind the holes and want a permanent mount, you can wall-mount the rod.
Keep in mind that this shower curtain rod will not fit if you have a full-sized shower. And even if it does fit, if you’re not an experienced DIYer, you may run into problems with the installation, as that has been a common complaint from other customers.
- Multiple mounting options
- Only two finishes are available
- Minimal adjustments
- Won’t fit a full-sized shower
- Potentially difficult installation
9. Kenney Tension Shower Curtain Rod
|Available Colors:||Brushed nickel, black, white, matte aluminum, chrome|
A couple of nice things about Kenney’s tension shower curtain rod is that it’s a super affordable option, and it comes with a reasonable adjustment range. It’s also available in several different finishes to match your bathroom’s decor.
However, being a cheaper option, it’s not without its faults. Because there isn’t a tension spring, it can actually be challenging to install compared to similar tension-mounted curtain rods. Also, it doesn’t have a great weight capacity if you’re trying to hang anything but a lightweight shower curtain.
- Adjustable to standard and oversize showers
- Non-slip, non-scratch end caps
- No tension spring
- Minimal weight capacity
- It doesn’t always stay up as intended
- Difficult to hang for a tension-mounted rod
10. Sikaiqi U-Shaped and Corner Curtain Rods
|Available Widths:||Several size adjustments|
These unique shaped shower curtain rods by Sikaiqi didn’t end up last on the list for any major problems. However, because of how specific the shapes are, they are only suitable for certain applications and types of showers.
That being said, they are wall-mounted. So, if your shower will accommodate the shape, you’ll get a solid, long-lasting shower curtain rod out of the deal. If black fits the style you’ve envisioned for your bathroom and the shape works, you shouldn’t write off these unique shower curtain rods.
- Multiple shapes available
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- One finish available
- Can be difficult to install
- Specific in its application
Buyer’s Guide: How to Select the Best Shower Curtain Rods
There are a lot of different shower curtain rod choices—different materials, mounting types, and finishes are all available. At the same time, there are countless different bathrooms designs. Deciding on a shower curtain rod shouldn’t be a complicated purchase. So, we’ve laid out a few tips below to help you in the process.
Shower Rod Considerations
Curved vs. Straight
As a rule, most shower curtain rods are straight. However, curved rods are becoming quite popular due to the extra room they provide. These are only the two most common but there are numerous other styles and shapes available such as L-shaped or U-shaped rods.
How your bathroom is set up and the style of the shower will determine which shape of shower rod will look and perform the best.
Material and Finishes
Metal and plastic are the two major materials used in curtain shower rods. There are several options within the metal category, such as stainless steel, aluminum, or some form of alloy. For a longer-lasting rod, metal is always the best choice.
You’re typically limited to a few basic colors with a plastic rod. But a metal rod opens up your options to different colors and finishes, such as bronze or a brushed nickel finish.
There are two types of shower curtain rod mounting—tension-mounted and wall-mounted.
A tension-mounted rod is by far the most straightforward rod to mount because you open it tightly to the opposing walls in your shower and twist it. The downside is that you are limited by weight for the type of shower curtain you can hang, and over time the rod will lose its pressure and slide down the wall.
On the other hand, a wall-mounted rod requires tools and a bit more time to put up. But the result is a much more stable shower curtain rod that can hold significantly more weight than the tension-mounted rod.
As the review for the curved adjustable shower rod from PrettyHome demonstrates, this is the best overall if you’re looking for something that will look great, last for a long time, and handle the weight of any curtain.
On the other hand, the AmazonBasics tension-mounted adjustable rod gives you a high-quality shower rod at a much more affordable price. You will sacrifice some available finishes, and it won’t hold as much weight.
Whichever shower curtain rod you decide to go with, we hope these reviews helped point you in the right direction.
Featured Image Credit: Sagrapho, Shutterstock
- 1 A Glance at Our Top Picks (2023 Update)
- 2 The 10 Best Shower Curtain Rods
- 2.1 1. PrettyHome Adjustable Curved Shower Curtain Rod – Best Overall
- 2.2 2. Amazon Basics Tension Curtain Rod – Best Value
- 2.3 3. TEECK Adjustable Shower Curtain Rod – Premium Choice
- 2.4 4. Zenna Home Adjustable Shower Curtain Rod
- 2.5 5. Hoachily Curved Shower Curtain Rod
- 2.6 6. JS Jackson Double Curved Shower Rod
- 2.7 7. Vailge Tension Shower Curtain Rod
- 2.8 8. Zenna Home Curved Shower Curtain Rod
- 2.9 9. Kenney Tension Shower Curtain Rod
- 2.10 10. Sikaiqi U-Shaped and Corner Curtain Rods
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: How to Select the Best Shower Curtain Rods
- 4 Conclusion