24 Free DIY Coat Rack Plans You Can Make Today (with Pictures)
Learning how to build a coat rack is fun and rewarding. There are tons of coat rack designs ranging from easy to challenging, so no matter your craft experience, there’s a design for you! Once you are finished, you’ll have a piece of craftsmanship you can admire and be proud of for years to come.
We’ve gathered a list of 24 different designs. Some of them are quite simple and easy; others are more complex and require more tools. All of these designs come with detailed instructions, so you’ll have everything you need to successfully build your custom coat rack!
The 24 DIY Coat Rack Plans
1. Farmhouse Style Coat Rack from Prodigal Pieces
This design has a simple, rustic appeal. You’ll need to have some woodworking skills, and some basic hand tools. This coat rack also includes a built-in shelf! It’s a stylish way to organize your entryway.
2. Simple $10 Coat Rack from I Like to Make Stuff
This coat rack is great for the budget! It has a minimalistic style to it, and it also happens to be quite simple to make. It uses three 2×2 sections of wood, and some screws. That’s it!
3. Rustic Oar Coat Rack from Susie Seasongoods
Get ready to add a nautical flair to your entryway! This design refurbishes an old oar into a unique and fun coat rack. It’s also so far the easiest design to make on this list. All you need is an old oar, some coat hooks, two D-rings and some spray paint.
4. Entryway Coat Rack with Storage Bench from Family Handyman
This design is for the more ambitious craftsman. The storage bench and build-in cubbies will help you organize everything that clutters up your entryway. It’s a more complex design, but it pays off with a classic look and high functionality. Be prepared for in-depth woodwork.
5. DIY Chalkboard Coat Rack from DIY Projects with Pete
Organize your life with this chalkboard coat rack! In addition to hanging your coats, you can leave messages for your family, write grocery lists or reminders with the built-in chalkboards.
6. Pallet Coat Rack from Re-Fabbed by Brooke Riley
This coat rack design not only looks amazing, it’s also a great way to recycle an old pallet into something useful. It has a great farmhouse vibe, and takes very little time to assemble.
7. Nautical Pallet Coat Rack from Artsy Chicks Rule
8. Rustic Tree Branch Coat Rack
9. DIY Lego Coat Rack from Erin Spain
Here’s a great design for the kid’s bedroom! They are sure to love it. You’ll need several colors of paint in order to make the coat rack bright and fun, just like Legos.
10. DIY Modern Coat Rack from BorkWood
This is an elegant coat rack, with a complex design. The coat hooks on it are retractable, so when not in use they can lay flush against the wall for a sleek, minimalist look. Be prepared for some detailed woodwork.
11. Industrial Coat Rack from Beneath My Heart
This design uses steel pipes for a sturdy, industrial design. It looks awesome, and comes with a built-in shelf for more storage use.
12. Pipe Industrial Coat Rack
Here’s another steel pipe design, with a simpler look. It comes with sturdy, industrial hooks. The hooks slide into place easily on the pipe, and screw down with an Allen Wrench, no need for drilling into metal or welding.
13. Standing Coat Rack from My Love 2 Create
This standing design uses a Newell post for an easy base, all you need to do is add legs. It’s a similar style to the $10 coat rack, but with a slightly more artistic design.
14. Driftwood Rustic Coat Rack from Sustain My Craft Habit
This is a super cool way to recycle a piece of driftwood into a functional piece of art you can admire every day. It has a great coastal vibe, and is remarkably simple to make.
15. Tree Branch Coat Rack from Rogue Engineer
This design is highly involved, but yields a very unique piece of art. You’ll need a bunch of tree branches, although wine corks are also a fun option!
16. Concrete and Broomstick Coat Tree from Ana White
Here’s a modern and sleek design for your entryway. It has the added benefit of using zero screws or other hardware; simply a bucket, some concrete and some broom handles.
17. DIY Horseshoe Coat Rack from Pinspired to DIY
For all you equestrian enthusiasts out there, here’s the perfect coat rack to garnish your entryway! It would look great in a stable as well. The design involved connecting railroad spikes to the horseshoes, so you’ll need the ability to do some welding.
18. Railroad Spike Coat Rack DIY from Scavenger Chic
This rustic design is a cool way to make art out of some old railroad spikes. All you need is a 2×4 to put them in, and you have a functional coat rack. Looks great in a cabin or workshop!
19. Minimalistic Entryway Coat Rack from Idle Hands Awake
This coat rack has a clean and bright look. It uses just a couple boards and some wooden dowels. It’s great for small entryways or if you’re just going for a simple presentation.
20. Old Shutter Coat Rack from the Charlotte Cottage
Here’s one that uses an worn out window shutter to make a fun a coat rack with a rustic vibe. If you have the shutter, then the rest of the design is simply installing coat hooks and D-hooks to hang it on the wall.
21. One-Piece Coat Rack from Bob Vila
This coat rack is another minimalist design; using only a single plank of wood, you can make a functional rack that looks modern and unique. All you need to do is cut some notches into the wood.
22. DIY Wooden Dowel Coat Rack from Style by Emily Henderson
Wooden dowels are used in this design to make an interesting standing coat rack. It only needs a few materials, including the poles, rope, paint and tape.
23. Folding Wood Coat Rack from Instructables
If you want to learn how to build a coat rack that is freestanding, this one is just that with hooks at the top that fold down. Also, the whole stand itself can fold up small enough to fit in an umbrella stand! It’s a very creative piece that’s stylish as well as functional.
24. DIY Wood and Faucet Handle Coat Rack from A Piece of Rainbow
Reusing some old wood and faucet handles gives this coat rack a fun garden-like charm. Painting the faucet handles will brighten it up, and give your entryway a colorful, cheerful look.
You might also be interested in: 15 Free DIY Bike Rack Plans You Can Build Today
Featured Image Credit: Beneath My Heart
- 1 The 24 DIY Coat Rack Plans
- 1.1 1. Farmhouse Style Coat Rack from Prodigal Pieces
- 1.2 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.3 2. Simple $10 Coat Rack from I Like to Make Stuff
- 1.4 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.5 3. Rustic Oar Coat Rack from Susie Seasongoods
- 1.6 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.7 4. Entryway Coat Rack with Storage Bench from Family Handyman
- 1.8 Difficulty: Advanced
- 1.9 5. DIY Chalkboard Coat Rack from DIY Projects with Pete
- 1.10 Difficulty: Medium
- 1.11 6. Pallet Coat Rack from Re-Fabbed by Brooke Riley
- 1.12 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.13 7. Nautical Pallet Coat Rack from Artsy Chicks Rule
- 1.14 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.15 8. Rustic Tree Branch Coat Rack
- 1.16 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.17 9. DIY Lego Coat Rack from Erin Spain
- 1.18 Difficulty: Medium
- 1.19 10. DIY Modern Coat Rack from BorkWood
- 1.20 Difficulty: Medium
- 1.21 11. Industrial Coat Rack from Beneath My Heart
- 1.22 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.23 12. Pipe Industrial Coat Rack
- 1.24 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.25 13. Standing Coat Rack from My Love 2 Create
- 1.26 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.27 14. Driftwood Rustic Coat Rack from Sustain My Craft Habit
- 1.28 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.29 15. Tree Branch Coat Rack from Rogue Engineer
- 1.30 Difficulty: Advanced
- 1.31 16. Concrete and Broomstick Coat Tree from Ana White
- 1.32 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.33 17. DIY Horseshoe Coat Rack from Pinspired to DIY
- 1.34 Difficulty: Advanced
- 1.35 18. Railroad Spike Coat Rack DIY from Scavenger Chic
- 1.36 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.37 19. Minimalistic Entryway Coat Rack from Idle Hands Awake
- 1.38 Difficulty: Medium
- 1.39 20. Old Shutter Coat Rack from the Charlotte Cottage
- 1.40 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.41 21. One-Piece Coat Rack from Bob Vila
- 1.43 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.44 22. DIY Wooden Dowel Coat Rack from Style by Emily Henderson
- 1.45 Difficulty: Easy
- 1.46 23. Folding Wood Coat Rack from Instructables
- 1.47 Difficulty: Medium
- 1.48 24. DIY Wood and Faucet Handle Coat Rack from A Piece of Rainbow
- 1.49 Difficulty: Medium