9 Moped Accident Statistics in Australia (Updated in 2023)
Note: This article’s statistics come from third-party sources and do not represent the opinions of this website.
Mopeds are inexpensive compared to many other vehicles and are better for the environment, so they offer Australians an affordable and green way to get around. However, many people worry about safety on the road because mopeds don’t have many of the safety features that you would find in a car or truck. Here are several facts and statistics about mopeds in Australia and around the world to help you decide if this vehicle is right for you.
Top 9 Moped Accident Statistics in Australia
- Hundreds of elderly Australians suffer from fall injuries related to mopeds each year.
- Most moped injuries are from falling.
- Almost half of scooter-related deaths occur when someone is crossing the road.
- Female pedestrians are more likely to be injured.
- Most moped deaths were among the elderly.
- Head injuries are the most common moped injuries.
- Moped sales are on the rise.
- Most drivers involved in a moped accident are uninsured.
- Most moped riders don’t wear a helmet.
Australian Moped Accident Statistics
While many older adults find the moped a great way to get around Australia, people over 60 are also experiencing more injuries. In the early 2000s, there were roughly 200 incidents each year, but that number rose to 500 or more each year after 2016.
2. Most moped injuries are from falling.
Most of the injuries related to the moped are due to falling off the machine, often because of a lack of experience riding it. Reports suggest that falls result in 97% of the injuries, with mopeds striking pedestrians responsible for the remaining 3%.
About 45% of the scooter-related deaths in Australia occurred when the moped struck a person crossing the street. Other scooter-related deaths occurred from falling off the machine or hitting another vehicle.
4. Female pedestrians are more likely to be injured.
Women are twice as likely as men to be admitted to a hospital to receive treatment for injuries due to a moped accident. However, it’s unclear if these statistics result from women being less capable of managing the scooter’s weight or men being less likely to seek medical attention.
5. Most moped deaths were among the elderly.
Unfortunately, most moped deaths in Australia were among the elderly. In the past several years, more than 69 people above 60 died in a scooter-related incident.
Worldwide Moped Accident Statistics
6. Head injuries are the most common moped injuries.
The most common moped injury is a head injury, making up about 40.2%, followed by a fracture at 31.7%. Other common injuries include contusions, lacerations, and sprains.
7. Moped sales are on the rise.
Due to the rising cost of fuel and the relatively low cost of a moped, they have become much more popular in recent years, with sales increasing up to 60% in some areas.
8. Most drivers involved in a moped accident are uninsured.
Unfortunately, as many as 90% of drivers involved in a moped accident did not have insurance, meaning they needed to pay for all damages and injuries out of pocket.
9. Most moped riders don’t wear a helmet.
Recent studies show that only 17% of moped drivers wear a helmet when riding, which likely helps contribute to the high number of head injuries.
Frequently Asked Questions About Mopeds in Australia
Do I Need a Licence to Ride a Moped in Australia?
Yes, you do need a licence to drive a moped in Australia, though the type varies from state to state. In South Australia, Queensland, Western Australia, and Northern Territory, you can use a regular C-class licence to ride your moped. But in Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Tasmania, or Victoria, you need a motorcycle licence. (Zoot Scooters)
How Can I Stay Safe on My Moped?
The moped is a fantastic and inexpensive vehicle that you can use to travel small distances. It’s relatively safe, with most injuries occurring among the elderly due to falls. You can reduce your risk of an accident by learning how to ride it properly and always wearing a helmet. Make sure you get insurance for your moped, and only ride in well-lit areas that aren’t too congested with other traffic.
Featured Image Credit: Canetti, Shutterstock