10 DIY Farmhouse Bench Plans You Can Build Today (With Pictures)
Need a place to sit down and put your boots on (or even better, take them off at the end of a hard day?) Build a sturdy farm bench for your mudroom, porch, or entryway! Commonly built out of the same large-dimensioned lumber used in farms and houses, these benches are built to be attractive while taking years of hard use.
As with all carpentry, even lifelong masters can find new ways to improve a design or make it more beautiful – and yet a complete beginner can put together a simple (still perfectly functional!) piece in hours. These pieces usually cost less, look better, and are much stronger than their finished store-bought counterparts.
These projects are ordered based on their complexity, length of build time, and how many tools they’ll require. You might think that more time and more tools would cut into your savings, but they do let you build furniture with features and eye-pleasing looks that would require you to buy the next grade (or several grades) up – so compare the tooling, time, and complexity costs of the later projects to furniture you’d find in a furniture store or on Wayfair as opposed to Walmart or Target.
I cannot stress enough how different the durability of real wood from a lumberyard or specialty lumber store is compared to the cheap materials and veneer used in all but the most expensive store-bought furniture. It’s well worth the time, and buying a tool is never just for one project. Good tools are used for years, sometimes over multiple generations.
Here’s a selection of some DIY bench plans from around the web:
The 10 DIY Farmhouse Bench Plans
1. Ana White’s One Board Bench
2. Ana White’s Farmhouse Bench Plans
3. Little Green Bow’s Farmhouse Bench Plans
4. The Design Confidential’s Wooden Truss Dining Bench
5. Designs by Studio C’s Bench With Curved Legs
6. Ana White’s Fancy X Farmhouse Bench
7. House of Handmade’s Built In Bench With Storage
8. Ana White’s Cottage Bench With Storage Cubbies
9. Family Handyman’s Entryway Coat Rack and Storage Bench
10. Bitterroot’s Easy Mudroom Bench With Shoe Storage
If you’ve never attempted carpentry, never swung a hammer, and don’t know that “fastener” means screws, nails, and anything else that fastens two things together, don’t stress! You can start small and inexpensive and work up until you’ve reached the skill and comfort level that fits your needs and resources.
A great way to start is just to watch videos. Watch beginners trying simple things and masters working on finished projects. Here is a great list of videos to get you started.
Once you start a project remember to walk away if you get frustrated and come back later. It’s easy to make mistakes if you’re mad that something isn’t working right, or if you smash your thumb with a tool. Put it down, go do something else, and come back another time. The project will be there, and you’ll have a better approach for having slept on it.
Featured Image Credit: Camylla Battani, Unsplash
- 1 The 10 DIY Farmhouse Bench Plans
- 1.1 1. Ana White’s One Board Bench
- 1.2 2. Ana White’s Farmhouse Bench Plans
- 1.3 3. Little Green Bow’s Farmhouse Bench Plans
- 1.4 4. The Design Confidential’s Wooden Truss Dining Bench
- 1.5 5. Designs by Studio C’s Bench With Curved Legs
- 1.6 6. Ana White’s Fancy X Farmhouse Bench
- 1.7 7. House of Handmade’s Built In Bench With Storage
- 1.8 8. Ana White’s Cottage Bench With Storage Cubbies
- 1.9 9. Family Handyman’s Entryway Coat Rack and Storage Bench
- 1.10 10. Bitterroot’s Easy Mudroom Bench With Shoe Storage
- 2 Conclusion