10 Feng Shui Interior Design Ideas You Can Incorporate Today!
Feng shui is way more than a buzzword you may have heard from real estate agents and many interior designers. It is a complete Chinese philosophy that aims to bring balance to the lives of people. It uses spatial designs to incorporate people’s living spaces with natural elements.
This amazing concept uses certain design principles to enable auspiciousness and allow positive energy, also known as “qi”, to flow and connect living things within your space. As a result, you feel an improvement in your quality of life and standards.
If you want to revamp your personal space using the ideologies of feng shui, we have some unique interior design ideas for you. Although it is a complex tradition, when appropriately implemented, feng shui can bring numerous benefits.
The 10 Feng Shui Interior Design Ideas for You
1. Declutter Your Home
Feng shui promotes decluttering, as it believes that clutter enhances anxiety, negative thoughts, and stagnation. As per the concept, decluttering is imperative to lead a peaceful life. If your living space has so many unnecessary elements, you may find it hard to make your way to success.
The concept also believes that a minimalistic and clean living space attracts positive energy and allows it to flow without any hurdles. This energy can also bring good luck.
If you want to initiate decluttering, start from your bedroom. Many people have televisions, work desks, and storage items in this space. Get rid of them as soon as possible. Also, remove everything from under your bed and go for a minimalistic approach. In your kitchen, declutter your refrigerator and clean the surfaces and utensils to invite good feelings.
2. Redesign Your Living Room
If you spend most of your time in your living room, know that its environment can significantly impact your well-being. This is why you should craft a space that can uplift your mood and simultaneously look appealing.
Your living room is close to the front door and the first room you or your guests see when visiting your home. Its layout and colors must reflect your character.
- If you have guests visiting often, color the space with bold hues and calming tones to reflect your relaxed lifestyle. If you use your living space to entertain people every weekend, incorporate colors such as orange and yellow to brighten the mood.
- Since feng shui is based on five elements, it is essential to include them all. These elements are wood, fire, metal, water, and earth. You should balance all these elements. For instance, add triangular objects and animal patterns instead of going for a red wall.
- Make sure that your furniture represents each of the five elements. For example, rectangular and square furniture with warm earthy tones should fill your space. You can also include porcelain and pottery pieces on your coffee table.
- To represent water, add pieces with curvy and irregular shapes. Shades of green and live plants fulfill the need for wood elements. It is all about bringing these five elements together without creating unnecessary clutter.
3. Place Your Couch Strategically
This is another feng shui design idea you may not be familiar with. Feng shui also revolves around positioning your furniture in a certain way to meet its objectives.
Most people place their sofa where its back faces the main door. Unfortunately, that’s not an inviting gesture. Your main couch should always take the command, so its placement should greet the people entering your space.
That said, sometimes certain sofas are not designed in a way that allows them to settle like that. In that case, many designers recommend hanging a mirror so that you can view the front door easily while sitting on it.
4. Incorporate See-Through Curtains in Your Living Room and Bedroom
The primary purpose of feng shui is to let the natural light in and prevent the escape of positive energy. To make that possible, see-through curtains play a significant role. These curtains allow a smooth transition between outside and inside, making your rooms look more spacious and bright.
What’s more, they soften the harsh light but still allow a good amount of it to enter your room. Bold and thick curtains block light altogether and also create unnecessary darkness.
Other than these benefits, see-through curtains look great in rooms with well-balanced furniture and minimalistic interior. They also provide height to your room, making it look bigger and more spacious.
5. Add Plants to Your Space
Plants improve your space’s aesthetics and invite positive energy to flow in your house. They are also pretty nourishing for the personal energy of people in your home. However, you should be aware of some good and bad feng shui plants.
The best ones are Areca Palms, Boston Fern, Jade, and Lucky Bamboo, to count a few. Areca Palm has fan-like leaves and can grow more than most common houseplants. Also, they require indirect sunlight to survive.
Feng Shi also has a unique concept called “sha qi.” This refers to sharp energy that can drain you easily. Avoid placing sharp or pointy plants, such as cactus, in the space to block the positive energy from entering your space. In addition, eliminate any non-cultivating or dying plant. Provide a healthy environment to every plant you bring in, so they stay and nourish for long.
The placement of your plants is also crucial. South, southeast, and east areas are ideal for keeping your plants. However, it is always good to experiment with new spots and see which ones work for you.
6. Rules for Your Perfect Kitchen
According to the feng shui principle, your kitchen should be located on the backside of your house. It should not face your bathroom or bedroom. This is to avoid the slow energy present in these rooms from clashing with the productive vibe of your kitchen space.
However, sometimes you have no choice when building your home from scratch. In that case, place a partition between your kitchen and bedroom so you may not see it while working on your stove.
- According to feng shui’s rules, red and black colors represent fire. Avoid incorporating anything red in your kitchen if you have a black stove. Red represents anger while black encourages sadness, so having them both isn’t good for your health and mood.
- Some designers install a mirror facing the stove. Unfortunately, this blocks all types of energy that may bring prosperity and wealth to your kitchen.
- One of the best ways to adjust the mirror is by placing it above your stove. The mirror should show your reflection while busy cooking, resulting in a positive flow.
- Your kitchen should always look like a lively and inviting place. If possible, keep fresh flowers in a vase and healthy fruit on display to invite vibrant and healthy energy. Remove rotten fruit and dead flowers as soon as possible to eliminate despair.
- Finally, don’t leave dirty dishes in your kitchen. This act generates sickly energy and represents dirtiness. Wash your dishes as soon as you eat and prevent them from accumulating unnecessarily.
7. Add Elements in Your Kitchen Decor
You must incorporate all the five elements strategically in your kitchen. For example, if there is a gap between your cabinets and the ceiling, don’t leave the space empty. Instead, fill it with decorations and plants.
This rule is imperative to prevent the accumulation of unnecessary dust and negative energy in that area. You should also be careful with the placement of the stove and your sink. Don’t place them side by side, as it can create a clash between two primary elements: water and fire.
Your kitchen should have plenty of wood and metal pieces. These additions are essential to strengthen your family’s bonds and elevate productivity. Finally, use table linens to make the space look more calming and welcoming.
8. Revamp Your Home Office
If you have a home office in your house, chances are you may have taken it for granted. This space enhances productivity, so you must ensure intense positive energy flows through it.
According to feng shui design rules, less is more. However, most home offices are usually cluttered with unnecessary accessories, files, and furniture. The first step to incorporating the feng shui belief is decluttering the room and the desk. Discard all the things that block your productivity and only leave furniture that helps you visualize your professional goals in a better way.
Make sure your desk faces the door with a solid wall behind it. You should spend a lot of time and experiment enough to find a commanding position for your desk. This effort is essential because it helps you know how to face all your future opportunities.
When choosing a desk, always go for a wooden one. It not only looks good but also generates harmony and prosperity.
For the walls and the furniture, avoid using clashing colors. Instead, go for shades of green, yellow, and blue to complement the natural aesthetics. These colors also add a calming effect and allow you to productivity focus on your work. If you crave a pop of color, adding some elements of red works well, too.
9. Uplift Your Bedroom
Your bedroom is also a primary space in your house and needs to follow the feng shui principles. The ideas below can easily help you create a space to experience serene relaxation.
- Make your bed the commanding piece of furniture and position it perpendicular to the main door. The bed’s side should face the opening of the door. You may also adjust it so that its foot faces the door, allowing you mental ease.
- Allow symmetry in your room. Make sure that both sides of the bed are equally balanced. If you have only one side table, balance the opposite side by placing your dresser slightly away from the bed.
- If you like artwork, ensure that it is calming instead of loud. Avoid movie or band posters and go for portraits of serene locations. Position your artwork appropriately. If you own only one portrait, place it on a wall opposite your bed instead of above its headboard.
- Avoid keeping electronics in your room except for lighting. Electronics such as laptops or digital clocks are a source of unnatural lights and can disrupt the energy flow.
- If your bed doesn’t have a headboard, get one. It signifies safety and well-being. Opt for one made of solid wood.
- Aim for a color palette that is both dispassionate and natural. Avoid loud or saturated shades because you don’t want to experience excitability.
- Use sheets with natural patterns and colors. Choose bedding made from natural fibers and layer your bed with a quilt or duvet to make it inviting. Place pillows and lamps in pairs to encourage balance.
- Related Read: Feng Shui Bed Placement: Picking the Right Spot for You
10. Value Your Bathroom
Our tenth design idea revolves around your bathroom. Just because a bathroom isn’t a place you visit often doesn’t mean you should avoid its interior needs. A feng shui bathroom is a crucial need for everyone living a hectic life.
Here are a few styling tips for incorporating the feng shui belief in your bathroom space:
- If possible, opt for white walls and wood cabinets. If that’s not what you like, you can add some green and light blue tones to your space. These are water-inspired shades and are often preferred in perfect feng shui bathrooms.
- You may want to install advanced interior lighting in your bathroom, but natural lighting is ideal. It promotes energy and health and also feels more relaxing. You can install a large window in your bathroom, but if you aren’t comfortable, cover it with see-through curtains.
- Add plants where you see them fit. Don’t go overboard and keep them limited to one or two pots only.
- A feng shui bathroom requires regular deep cleaning. Ensure that your floors, windows, and carpets are dust free to keep negative energy at bay. Always replace the dirty towels with new ones to promote a positive flow of energy.
Feng shui is based on the concept that every element present in your surroundings directly impacts your life. All things, from your furniture to your decoration pieces, generate a certain amount of energy that can affect you. So, by altering the flow of energy in your home, you can easily promote prosperity and happiness.
A feng shui space designed using the interior rules of this belief can enhance your wealth and bring stability to your life. The above interior design ideas may prove helpful if you plan a revamp soon. It is all about giving your space and yourself the love and energy you deserve.
See also: 6 Townhouse Interior Design Ideas (with Pictures)
Featured Image Credit: Archi_Viz, Shutterstock
- 1 The 10 Feng Shui Interior Design Ideas for You
- 1.1 1. Declutter Your Home
- 1.2 2. Redesign Your Living Room
- 1.3 3. Place Your Couch Strategically
- 1.4 4. Incorporate See-Through Curtains in Your Living Room and Bedroom
- 1.5 5. Add Plants to Your Space
- 1.6 6. Rules for Your Perfect Kitchen
- 1.7 7. Add Elements in Your Kitchen Decor
- 1.8 8. Revamp Your Home Office
- 1.9 9. Uplift Your Bedroom
- 1.10 10. Value Your Bathroom
- 2 Conclusion