11 Airbnb Statistics and Facts – 2022 Update
Airbnb has completely revolutionized the vacation market. Now, the average person can list their house or even a room as a short-term rental for those coming to the area. Not only has this allowed average people to make money from homes and rooms they currently aren’t using, but it has also allowed renters to access opportunities and “live like a native.”
It is likely that this company will continue to grow for some time. However, it has hit some snags along the way, like COVID-19, which obviously completely upended the tourist industry.
Below, we’ll discuss some of the most telling Airbnb statistics. Whether you’re considering listing a house or investing in the company, these statistics should tell you all you need to know about the company and the following:
The 11 Airbnb Statistics in 2022
- Airbnb exhibits a 73% increase on average in revenue annually.
- In 2019, Airbnb saw its earnings hit a record of $4.7 billion.
- The company’s market value topped $35 billion back in 2019.
- On average, hosts make about $924 per month.
- According to Airbnb, there are over 4 million listings across the globe.
- There are many unique stays listed on Airbnb—not just houses.
- Compared to the rest of the world, the USA has the highest average host earnings at $18,285.
- The average Airbnb occupancy rate is 45.5%, and it has been increasing slowly over the last few years.
- Airbnb had to lay off around 25% of its employees during Covid-19.
- During the pandemic, the company’s gross booking amount when down by about 17%.
- Over 70% of guests were afraid to rent from Airbnb at the beginning of the pandemic.
1. Airbnb exhibits a 73% increase on average in revenue annually.
(Business of Apps)
Airbnb exhibits a very large revenue increase each year. While Covid did dampen this somewhat, the company continues to grow strong and likely will in the future.
2. In 2019, Airbnb saw its earnings hit a record of $4.7 billion.
(Business of Apps)
This is a record. However, COVID did put a damper on their revenue in the following years, so they have yet to beat this revenue. With that said, with cases getting lower, they may beat it yet.
3. The company’s market value topped $35 billion back in 2019.
Despite competing with other major brands, Airbnb did meet a market value of $35 billion in 2019. However, this actually decreased in value from 2018. COVID also did damage to their overall valuation.
4. On average, hosts make about $924 per month.
Of course, some hosts have many listings, which likely explains why the average is so high. For many hosts, they may only have one or two listings, which would lead to them making much less money.
5. According to Airbnb, there are over 4 million listings across the globe.
There are more than 4 million active listings on Airbnb. That does not count listings that are only open at certain times of the year or those that are no longer accepting listings.
6. There are many unique stays listed on Airbnb—not just houses.
There are over 40,000 farms, 3,500 castles, and 90,000 cabins for rent on Airbnb. If you’re looking for an interesting experience, then these houses are great options. They also allow users to live like a native.
7. Compared to the rest of the world, the USA has the highest average host earnings at $18,285.
(All The Rooms)
In the United States, California had the highest earnings per host. After that, Colorado is the next most popular destination. All of the top states earn tens of thousands a year from their properties.
8. The average Airbnb occupancy rate is 45.5%, and it has been increasing slowly over the last few years.
Based on this information, just about half of Airbnbs listings are occupied at any one time. On the other dates, they are empty. As you’d expect, they probably have the highest occupancy rate on the weekends and around holidays.
9. Airbnb had to lay off around 25% of its employees during Covid-19.
Due to the extremely diminished losses the company suffered during the pandemic, it had to lay off many of its employees. After all, the tourism industry suffered serious losses during this period.
10. During the pandemic, the company’s gross booking amount when down by about 17%.
As you’d expect, people stopped traveling quite as much during the pandemic. Therefore, the gross booking amount on Airbnb went down extensively. The situation luckily became better after a few months—originally, the pandemic dropped rates by as much as 100% in March of 2020.
11. Over 70% of guests were afraid to rent from Airbnb at the beginning of the pandemic.
For this reason, guests often did not rent from Airbnb and chose seemingly more reliable methods, such as hotels or condos. Many thought that cleaning guidelines at Airbnb were not appropriate for the Covid pandemic.
Frequently Asked Questions About Airbnb Statistics
Is Airbnb Profitable in 2021?
Airbnb is getting more and more profitable over the years. Their revenue was up by 80% in the fourth quarter of 2020, representing an almost complete bounce-back from the pandemic. However, the rest of their bounce-back was a bit slower.
However, new variants did not affect their revenue as much as previous ones. Plus, with most countries no longer preventing traveling and cases remaining mostly stable, it is expected that they will continue to grow into the future.
What is the average Airbnb booking rate?
The average booking rate is around 50%. Therefore, most locations are booked about 50% of the time. However, as an average, this isn’t true for all listings. Some are booked less than this and others are booked nearly all the time.
It depends on the location. Some areas get regular visitors throughout the year, while others are seasonal. No one rents a Colorado skiing cabin in the summer, for instance.
How Many Listings Does Airbnb Have?
The number of Airbnb listings varies from day to day. It also depends on how you count listings. Some listings are only available part of the year, for instance. Do you include these in the total? Or do they only count if you’re talking about that specific time of year?
Therefore, it really depends on your definition.
However, the listings are usually around 5.5 million at any one time. During the summer, this tends to go up, as there are more people vacationing.
Is Airbnb still growing?
Airbnb recovered quickly after the Covid pandemic and is continuing to grow at a pretty rapid rate. Their annual revenue and listings have gone up over the last few quarters. Therefore, they are still growing and likely will for some time.
In fact, their income increased by about 70% in 2021 and is likely to increase by a similar amount in 2022. They are growing rapidly.
Where is Airbnb most popular?
The United States is the most popular country for Airbnb, likely because that’s where the company started. Behind that, Australia is another common Airbnb rental.
Inside the United States, California and Colorado seem to be the biggest revenue sources. However, New York City is the most popular city overall.
Other popular cities include Tokyo and Paris, which also make plenty of money. Most major cities in the western world and even some beyond have a healthy Airbnb presence.
How many Airbnb hosts are Superhosts?
There are over 4 million hosts on Airbnb. A Superhost badge helps hosts stand out and may have a positive impact on your reservations. This badge does require consistently good reviews and guest experiences. Therefore, those with a badge are more likely to provide a good experience and have good reviews overall.
To become a Superhost, you have to meet certain criteria. You have to have bookings at least 10 times a year, a response rate of 90% or higher, and an average review of 4.8. Cancelation rates must also be low at 1%. However, some circumstances may make them more accepting of higher cancelation rates.
After this, you have to be assessed by Airbnb. They will review your performance listing every 3 months. If you meet these requirements during this review, you may qualify. They track this progress on your dashboard so that you can see when you may qualify.
Because this review process constantly moves people on and off the Superhost list, the number is always changing. However, it appears that only about 7% of hosts on Airbnb are Superhosts. Therefore, getting the rank really sets you apart from the rest.
Airbnb is a quickly growing company and is home to millions of listings. Over 4 million hosts are currently on the platform and the company owns about 17% of the current vacation rentals out there. This company is still growing despite the pandemic and recovered very quickly. They were hit very hard at first. However, it came back quickly and recovered its losses.
Most of this company’s presence is in the United States. However, they are likely going to become more popular in other areas as time goes on. They have a wide following in popular cities around the world, though, including in Tokyo and Paris.
Featured Image Credit: Pixabay
- 1 The 11 Airbnb Statistics in 2022
- 2 Revenue Statistics
- 3 Listing Statistics
- 3.1 5. According to Airbnb, there are over 4 million listings across the globe.
- 3.2 6. There are many unique stays listed on Airbnb—not just houses.
- 3.3 7. Compared to the rest of the world, the USA has the highest average host earnings at $18,285.
- 3.4 8. The average Airbnb occupancy rate is 45.5%, and it has been increasing slowly over the last few years.
- 4 Covid Statistics
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Airbnb Statistics
- 6 Conclusion